Sometimes, at night, or in the early hours of the morning, when all is quiet, no one’s listening, and I’m not sleeping, I whip out my Garageband and do some recordings.
They’re covers—I’ve never been much of a songwriter, much to my own dismay—and they’re not pitch or tempo-perfect (I’d never get around to publishing them!), but they’re my work: snapshots of what speaks to me, what I think about, what I feel or have felt, and—most importantly, for myself—what I am capable of.
However ramshackle or raw, this is the way that the Me that’s bigger than my body comes out to dip her toes in the ocean of reality. I’m hoping she likes it enough to come out and swim more.
*To see them as a chronological feed, click here.
- Feb 2013: “In Your Atmosphere (LA Song),” John Mayer.
- Nov 2012: “So Sorry,” Feist.
- July 2012: “You Hold Me Now,” Hillsong. *Video
- Apr 2012: “Gatekeeper,” Feist *Video!
- Feb 2012: “Cry Me a River,” Justin Timberlake.
- Tufts Third Day Gospel Choir: co-soloist with Hyomi Carty on “Grateful,” John P Kee.
- Nov 2011: “Daughters,” John Mayer.
- July 2011: “Worn Me Down,” Rachael Yamagata - a very rough take.
- June 2011: with one of Nando Michelin’s small jazz ensembles at Tufts in Fall 2010 - “River” by Joni Mitchell, based on Herbie Hancock’s take, with Corinne Bailey Rae.
- June 2011: “Munich,” based on Corinne Bailey Rae’s cover.
- May 2011: “I Don’t Trust Myself (With Loving You),” John Mayer. *Video!
- March 2011: “I’m Gonna Find Another You to Turn Me On,” John Mayer and Norah Jones.
- Feb 2011: “White Winter Hymnal,” Fleet Foxes.
- Jan 2011: “King of Anything,” Sara Bareilles.
- November 2010: “Bryn,” Vampire Weekend.
- August 2010: “What Can I Do,” The Corrs.
- July 2010: “For the Widows in Paradise, For the Fatherless in Ypsilanti,” Sufjan Stevens.
- June 2010: “Slow Dancing in a Burning Room,” John Mayer.
- February 2010: “Be Ok,” Ingrid Michaelson.